Thursday, December 15, 2005

Surprise! You're in trouble!

So, part of my job is that I have to inspect the work that was done after each contractor works in the vacant apartment that I'm getting ready for a new person. Yesterday I'd gone to walk a couple of apartments to check out the paint job that was done. The first one was fine...just smelled a little weird. The second one took me by surprise:

I stuck my key in the door and unlocked the deadbolt. As I opened the door I saw three Hispanic men in crouched positions, moving quickly to stand, all with their hands on the floor. At first I said, "oh, I didn't know the carpet was being installed today?" Then, as things continued clicking in my brain, I realized that there were no carpet laying tools in there and that apartment wasn't getting new carpet anyway. I soon recognized the man in the red shirt as one of the guys doing our sheetrock repairs from Katrina damage. As I surveyed the scene even more I realized they all looked a little sleepy (especially one, he looked like the sandman beat him with his sack of sand).

Those guys were SLEEPING! Sleeping on the job!

So, now I'm alone in a vacant apartment with three men who I've just seen doing something they could get fired for doing. I decided not to tell them that I knew they were sleeping because well, I was alone in a vacant apartment with three men who I've just seen doing something they could get fired for doing. They went into some schpeel about the "W" building and the repairs and blah blah blah...I guess he wanted me to think they were sitting in there having a meeting about the "W" building. Whatever. So, I got them out of the apartment and then did my little inspection.

Of course I made sure their supervisor was well aware of what happened and gave him a description of the guys. He assured me it would not happen again.

Busto!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm married to a man, have one baby girl named Julianne and one dog-child named Coca. The man is Professor Longhair.