Friday, November 04, 2005

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you, Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you, But in your dreams, whatever they be, Dream a little dream of me-

- or of teeth.

The night before last I had a dream that I've dreamt oh-so-many times. Surprise, surprise, my teeth are falling out. All of the sudden out of nowhere, I can feel with my tongue that all of my teeth are loose. Just like when I was a kid, I try to twist them with my tongue, but they won't twist, even though they're all hanging by a thread. I don't go to the dentist. I'm just desperate to get them out of my mouth. I continue to wiggle them with my tongue and then try to spit some out. What I spit into my hand is a handful of tooth pieces and splinters, absolutely no whole teeth. I'm horrified and know that I will never be able to get them repaired because it's too expensive. Then I wake up and feel around with my tongue to make sure my teeth are all there.

According to a dream interpretation website teeth dreams:

"...might have a physical origin in people gritting or grinding teeth during sleep. Freud suggested that dreams of teeth falling out are related to fears of castration, but women have this dream as often as men, Garfield says. She believes the tooth troubles in dreams are related to anger, with a dreamer acting out the clenching of his teeth. Other psychologists believe the dream reflects anxiety about appearance and how others perceive you."

I think it might be from the fact that I eat too much candy and I never floss. Seriously, when I go to the dentist and they ask me how often I floss, I actually say, "I don't floss, except for right before I come here."

3 comments:

Bee-ryan said...

A few years back, I had a recurring dream of my teeth falling out. Gosh, I hated it! In my dreams I would be chewing gum or eating, and my teeth would just fall out. Then, I would spit them out like they were watermelon seeds. It happened so often, that even in my dreams, I would say, "Oh, here they go again." I saw in a dream book that it meant "death." I thought that was stupid.

jerry said...

i had that dream once in my life where i loose my teeth.....but one dream that i seem to have a lot is where i find secret rooms or passage ways in places that i go....its always weird cause its like this serious thing where, i cant seem to name any immediate danger, but there always seems to and urgency or something, but always find them and for some reason have to keep it a secret, i think the most crucial thing is just finding these secret rooms and passageways......maybe you can find out what that means for me.....

The Getup Kid said...

The way I heard it is when you dream of your teeth falling out it means you're having trouble communicating something, you don't think you're being heard. Love your blog. Brian turned me on to it.

---Jenny

About Me

My photo
I'm married to a man, have one baby girl named Julianne and one dog-child named Coca. The man is Professor Longhair.