Sunday, October 03, 2004

For those who can't stand to waste...

For those of you who don't know, I don't like to throw anything away. (That's why we have so much stuff when we move) Sometimes I actually take stuff out of other people's trash because I just can't believe they're throwing that perfectly good (or somewhat good, at least) item away. Well, I'm always looking for uses for everyday items that I throw away. Here are some that I found today on the internet. I haven't tried them yet, so I claim no responsibility. :-) Check them out if you want.


  • Plastic Grocery Bags - The Bag Bed - I would really like to try this

As as sidenote for those who are interested, I found this out about the bagbed:

"This project originated from a closet full of plastic bags and idle hands. The very first night it was clear that this would be a perfect bed for a homeless person, warm and cushiony. The first bagbed was given to a local homeless woman in January who reported that it is suprisingly warm. Since then teachers and schoolchildren, retirement homes, disabled adults, girlscouts, and ordinary folks have joined the effort."

"The bagbed was awarded a $2,000 prize by The American Plastics Council in April, 1998 for the Single Most Unusual Reuse Idea."

  • Tea Bags - Save the tea leaves from tea bags and use as fertilizer for plants. Roses love tea leaves. ( or so I read today)
  • I always wanted to find something to do with those little paint sample squares. You can decorate a frame.
  • Replace a missing zipper pull with a twist tie (we always have like a thousand of these lying around and I don't want to throw them away, so I better find alot of broken zippers)
  • Use the wire inside a twist tie to repair eyeglasses in a pinch
  • Place used coffee grounds around plants. They make wonderful fertilizer. ( or so I read today)
  • Freeze meatballs by placing one in each of the holes of an egg carton. Seal, then put into the freezer.
  • Store premade pancake mix in a milk carton. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
  • Tie two laundry baskets together to make a dog-travel cage in a pinch.
  • Throw an old shower cap on the bottom of hanging plants to catch dirt and drips. Remove and rinse when it's time for their next watering.
  • Fill milk carton with water, submerge whole fish and put in the freezer to store until needed.
  • Use plastic lids as coasters, mini-cutting boards or stencils.
  • An unwanted candle makes a great pincushion.

I hope this was somewhat informative. If not, sorry. :-( I've got a cold today. If you have some reuse ideas to share, be sure to let me know. :-)


3 comments:

Carrie said...

I love the plastic bag bed! I save them and use them for Callie's poop, Elias' diapers, and that's about it. I asked my grocery store if they recycled them and they said no...stupid.

Anonymous said...

OHHH! I like the paint sample idea for frame making but one has to wonder ...if you have that many paint samples hanging around.....does that person have a decision making disorder? I have that problem in some cases like the ice cream counter or a coffee stand .....TOO Many choices....I usually end up with black coffee of the day or vanilla / chocolate swirl......ok ok....I'm going to look for those paint samples now ....maybe some lucky duck will get one for Christmas! Love you, Mumzy

Jessica said...

Yeah, the plastic bag bed is definately a project calling my name! It requires about 1,000 bags, so I'm going to have to start getting my friends and family to collect all their bags for me (that is once we get an apartment).

As for the paint sample frame, yeah, I suppose you'd have to have a decision making problem to have that many samples. Luckily, I know someone with that problem. ;-) I usually just buy off the "oops paint" shelf, so it doesn't require too much decision-making.

About Me

My photo
I'm married to a man, have one baby girl named Julianne and one dog-child named Coca. The man is Professor Longhair.